We were engaged in 2022 by Jons Engineering to provide conservation architect oversight of a comprehensive programme of works to Dominic’s Bridge, Drogheda for Louth County Council.
The bridge was built between 1863-1890 in two phases. The first bridge, a cast iron and wooden structure built in 1862-1863 opened in 1863. It was closed in 1872 and replaced by a screw-pile iron bridge in 1889-1890. Patrick John Lynam, oversaw the screw-pile bridge construction (a simple means of constructing durable lighthouses in deep water) which was invented by Dublin born engineer, Alexander Mitchell 1780-1869. The screw-pile iron bridge was manufactured by Thomas Grendon’s Iron Foundry of Drogheda.
The 2022 works included re-pointing and masonry consolidation of the historic masonry walls as well as repairs to the wrought iron superstructure and upgrade of the bridge deck as a pedestrian amenity link within the centre of Drogheda.