We were engaged in 2023 by BAM to provide input to a programme of conservation-led repairs to the original cast concrete balaustrade sections. to repairs of the for Kildare County Council.
This concrete bridge in Athy spanning the River Barrow is one of Ireland’s first concrete bridges, which had originally had been opened by the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1918 to serve the collieries at Wolfhill. It remained in use until 2005 as a local crossing to serve the Tegral Cement factory in Athy. The bridge is a protected structure and as part of the construction of the near-complete Athy bypass, it will now enter a new era of service as part of a cycling greenway running parallel to the new vehicular bypass bridge.