1. HOW TO EDIT TEXT
The wordpress text editor is basically a really stripped down word processor. So use like any ms word type program. Select text and click icons and see whats what.
- Find your post: Dashboard->Posts. (Use the category filter to narrow your search) Click Post name to edit.
- Edit text: Select text you wish to alter, choose an option below (examples in video: Large text, bold text)
- Add hyperlink: Select some text, click the “chain link” icon and add your URL.
- Save post: Click “Update” to save and publish post to live site.
Watch the EDITING TEXT VIDEO…
2. NEXTGEN PHOTO GALLERIES
Using this handy plug-in (which you should now see as a link on your dashboard) you can create a gallery of images per article, which is how you can add the “thumbnail gallery” images….
(* You can still use the built-in media library that comes with wordpress, but you will lose all the nice features like pop-up windows and photo descriptions.)
- Navigate to – Dashboard->Gallery->Add Gallery/Images
- Click “Add a new gallery” – Enter the gallery name; in the video example, we add a gallery for “ratoath childcare facility”. Click “Add gallery”
- Add images from your hard-drive : Gallery->Add Gallery/Images->Upload images | Click browse and select one or multiple images from your computer. Before clicking “Upload images”, don’t forget to select the target gallery (eg. ratoath child…)
- Add gallery to post: Dashboard->Posts->(your-post)->Edit Post….
- Click your cursor in the within the text where you want to place the gallery. Always leave space between the gallery and paragraphs (press enter). Locate and CLICK the “Add NextGEN Gallery” ICON (on the far right from the BOLD icon)
- From the pop-up box, select a gallery (eg. ratoath…) Select “Show as image list”. Click INSERT.
- Save post – Click “Update”.
3. HOW TO MANAGE A GALLERY
(Add descriptions to photos, re-name photos etc)
4. HOW TO ADD SINGLE IMAGES TO A POST (using NextGEN GALLERY)
- Edit post: Dashboard->Posts->(your-post)->Edit Post;
- Click your cursor within the text where you want to place the image. Always leave space between the gallery and paragraphs (press enter). Locate and CLICK the “Add NextGEN Gallery” ICON (on the far right from the BOLD icon)
- Select tab “Pictire”…Search or select image from list (can be tricky when filenames are obscure–photos can be given better titles: see “maange gallery” above).
- Select size: For full width image enter 942 x 942. For smaller images try 320 x 240 and go from there. The size you enter will not match the result exactly but will shrink the image accordingly.
- Select Float: Position image left, right, centre, or all on it’s own (no float). (Works much better than the wordpress version, adds proper gutters etc…)
- Click INSERT. SAVE your post (click Update). DONE.
- ***PLEASE NOTE: You can still upload images into a post the original way (the Upload/Insert icons). But no pop up or text descriptions etc.
Watch the ADDING SINGLE IMAGES VIDEO…
LESSON: How to add a “featured” image.
- Click to.. Dashboard->Posts->(your-post)->Edit Post
- Featured Image(panel)->Set featured image
- ***PLEASE NOTE: Due to some technical stuff, the featured image for the HOME page (the post tagged “featured”) MUST not be select from NextGEN gallery. It must be uploaded from your hard-drive or selected from the wordpress medial library***