In 2020, we were engaged by a multi-disciplinary team lead by John Fleming Architects to provide conservation architect input to the redevelopment and restoration of the 18th century former county infirmary site at John’s Green, Kilkenny, an important mid eighteenth‐century structure representing one of the earliest surviving purpose built public health institutions in the area. […] Read more – ‘redevelopment of johns green Kilkenny’.
We were engaged in 2021 by BAM & Transport Infrastructure Ireland to provide conservation architect oversight of repointing and repair works to the 19th century embankment walls to the Phibsborough Luas station. The works included re-pointing and masonry consolidation of wall faces and wall tops. Read more – ‘phibsborough luas station’.
We were appointed to a specialist multi-disciplinary team led by DMOD Architects in 2021 in relation to the conservation & restoration of St. Davids Castle in Naas. The building originally comprised of a medieval tower house which was possibly reconstructed in the 15th century from an earlier structure as part of the construction of the […] Read more – ‘st. davids castle, naas’.
We provided input to the re-pointing and façade restoration at 4 & 5 South William Street for Savills Ireland in 2020. The two buildings were considered to have been built together but the right hand section was likely re-faced in the late 19th century in the Victorian style of the time possibly in response to […] Read more – ‘facade restoration south william street, dublin 2’.
Athy is an Anglo-Norman town located at one of the principal bridges across the river Barrow which separated the Gaelic Irish of the midlands from the more Protestant controlled lands to the east of the river and closer to the Pale. The town was therefore subject to attack from the native Irish from the 14-16th […] Read more – ‘The white castle, athy conservation management plan’.
Trim Gaol was constructed c1832 and adopted the Panopticon design which provided for a radial or polygonal arc of cell blocks encircling a central inspection block where the governor could more easily monitor the prisoners and his staff and ensure a balanced and fair system of justice. Walled exercise yards filled the external spaces between the […] Read more – ‘conservation of old gaol wall, trim’.
Smarmore Castle (http://smarmore-rehab-clinic.com) has been the seat of the Taaffe family who had large landholdings throughout Louth and are thought to have occupied the site since the construction of the tower house c1320. The tower house was extended to the south c1740s with a two-storey seven-bay U-shaped wing and extended again to the north-east with a […] Read more – ‘smarmore castle, ardee – the re-use of a historic demense’.
Nos. 30-31 Lower O’Connell Street are part of a group of four buildings reconstructed in 1919 after the 1916 Easter Rising. Although the buildings were all developed separately by different architects and for different clients, their uniformity is a result of an expert committee established after the rising who produced a masterplan and guidelines for the […] Read more – ‘30-31 o’connell street, dublin 1 – facade repairs’.
We have been commissioned by Irish Waterways to prepare heritage impact assessments for works proposed to a number of 18th century Grand Canal Bridges in Kildare. The first bridge to be examined was Bond Bridge in Allenwood, Co. Kildare constructed in 1796 as part of the 1797 extension of the Grand Canal at the time to Phillipstown (Daingean). […] Read more – ‘irish waterways – repair of canal bridges’.
2 The Bungalows in Greenore, Co. Louth is an unusual protected structure both from a design and construction point of view. The Victorian/Arts & Crafts style house was one of four units apparently imported as a timber frame kit around 1895 and developed as short stay golf links holiday homes as part of the now […] Read more – ‘conservation of victorian house, greenore, co louth’.