iA


roman cement facade conservation, clontarf, dublin 3

img_9695_web

We were asked act as architects to provide conservation consultancy to the repair of a Roman cement façade to a building dating from the 1850s on the seafront in Clontarf, Dublin 3. Although not a protected structure, the building is mentioned in “From Village to Suburb: The Building of Clontarf since 1760” by Claire Gogarty. The three-bay, semi-detached Regency style houses were developed by Thomas Gresham around 1860 and possibly designed by the same architect who built Mount Vernon further along the Clontarf Road.

The façade was in poor condition from the effects of weathering at this exposed location. While several contractors had proposed the wholesale removal of the original render material (the building was not a Protected Structure), we developed a repair specification with specialist conservation contractors, Summit Conservation using Remmers Restoration mortar.

Original cornice profiles and window we faithfully repaired with as much sound original material as possible retained. The worked were completed in December 2014.